Now you might be wondering, how does one treat this disease? Is there an expensive high-tech drug out there that can cure this condition? What about surgery? What about gene therapy? Actually, as it happens, there is a treatment for this disease, but it doesn't involve any of these high-tech responses. Instead, it is an extremely cheap, low-tech, uncomplicated treatment - so uncomplicated that as a qualified phlebotomist, I could carry it out! What is it? Bloodletting! Yep, those medieval medicine men were on to something... well, at least with respect to this disease: because the body has no way of purging iron once it's been absorbed, and because blood is the most iron-rich substance in the body, it turns out that bloodletting is the best way to treat hemochromotosis. Patients are bled as often as twice a week, and as you might imagine, their frequent phlebotomy treatment and their iron-rich blood makes them absolute champion blood donors. One patient whose case we studied bled 100 units in one year! One unit is equal to a pint, so this man donated over a dozen gallons of blood in the course of twelve months! So even though thinkers from times past were wrong about the four humors and their impact on the body, this medieval treatment is amazingly effective against this very common disease. Bring on the leaches...
GOP Headed South
17 years ago
2 comments:
Wow- after thousands of dollars and years of hard work to get to this point in school you discover that sometimes all you need is a needle.
I knew that you would be posting about random diseases! I knew it. Hey, not to say that is a bad thing, after reading your blog I maybe could diagnose someone with hemochromotosis. Hope all is well in Boston. I know no one has to tell you this . . . but study hard!
Post a Comment